Saturday, January 16, 2010

Coming Distractions January 19th, 2010

The Invention of Lying
Gamer
Outrage
Whiteout
Weeds - 5th Season


I've been watching a lot of strange movies lately.

I went out to see The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, which I really enjoyed. I always like to see what Terry Gilliam is up to, though Margot Harrison wrote a very apt review (over at 7days) that pointed out the irony of a movie about the importance of storytelling wherein storytelling is the weakest element. Still, it was a fun ride.



Then I took home Slipstream: meta-movie piecemeal insanity written and directed by Anthony Hopkins. It is, as my movie-watching companion mentioned, one man's pure, unadulterated vision, of, well, something. Life? Film-making? I'm not really sure what it means, but maybe you should watch it and let me know.


And even Avatar could be included in this list of unusual visual feasts.


But the odd movie I really want to tell you about is Taste of Tea. This Japanese film runs a little long (at 143 minutes) but at least two moments made me laugh so hard and with such delight that I thought, "this is my favorite movie ever." The rest of the film is beautiful and mellow and definitely strange. It sounds cheesy, but Taste of Tea better communicated a true sense of wonder than any other movie in my recent memory and somehow it managed to do this without being either particularly optimistic or pessimistic . Plus, it's got some great dancing. Now, I'm quite excited to watch Sharkskin Man & Peachhip Girl, also written & directed by Katsuhito Ishii.

What films have you found unusually fascinating lately?

No comments: