Thursday, October 2, 2008

Coming Distractions October 7th, 2008

TUESday on dVd:

The Visitor
The Happening
You Don't Mess With Zohan
Robot Chicken - 3rd Season

I cried (a lot) during Snow Angels. I'm not afraid to admit it, and it wasn't just because I could feel the imminent chill in my bones watching the characters skid and stumble through gray Pennsylvania days (at least Vermont skies aren't so vast --our mountains relieve me of pondering over-long on the cloudy expanse). Stories of families and individuals falling apart; the movie was heartbreaking even before cinematic tragedy struck.

Sweet memories of Amy Sedaris' previous roles couldn't keep me from my sadness. For example: as Jerry Blank in Strangers With Candy. Though I understand why some have trouble watching the face muscle-strain of Jerry's overbite, it makes me smile to remember the goofy, ridiculous, and downright disgustingness of that show. (Don't bother with the movie though - trying to explain absurdity takes all the fun out of it)

David Gordon Green, who wrote and directed Snow Angels, directed Pineapple Express (estimated for DVD release in January), and is also the man behind Undertow, All the Real Girls, and George Washington.


Before I leave you for another week, let's just have a moment to thank Paul Newman for all the great movies (53 of which we have in the store), not to mention the salad dressing, and popcorn, and lemonade, and cookies, and charity work.

No comments: